Skip to main content

teaching computer literacy to the public

January. Another new year. New resolutions, new projects, back to the grindstone. I didn't actually make any resolutions this year, just resolved to continue the positive path I started last year regarding health: physical, emotional, and spiritual. This also means updating my outlook about life, including my work.

Part of my job as a part-time librarian is teaching computer literacy classes every Tuesday. I teach two classes each day, each lasting 1.5 hours in the subjects of mousing and basic computer skills, Microsoft Word, Internet and web-based e-mail. People take four classes total, one each week. I used to dread teaching them at first (my very first librarian/supervisory position), but now can honestly say I enjoy doing it.

Sometimes, I teach mentally handicapped folks, those who have never touched a computer before in their lives, seniors and people my parent's age. Many times, people want to take the classes again, and sometimes more than twice. This is okay, but if we have a lot of people waiting, they may have to wait a few months. For folks who have never used a computer before, they sometimes forget what they learned, so it's just like taking them again for the first time.

In addition, there are people who use the public terminals who do not have those basic computer skills, so showing them for the first time is like a crash course in teaching a computer class. This can be frustrating for a new user, because there is a lot to learn! For younger generations who have grown up using computers, this may seem silly. The number one complaint I hear from new (older) users is that nobody will take the time to explain things- they breeze through so fast, or they just want to do things for them.

It's funny how a person like myself, who used to adore the idea of teaching and loves learning, could really not like it very much at first. I felt like a new teacher in one of those Gangstas Paradise movies, only without gang members and violence. Just totally out of place and overwhelmed! But with a few mere months experience, I became much more comfortable with myself and with instruction. All the library outreach programs in between surely didn't hurt, either. Forget Speech 101, just give a few of those!

Probably one of the most rewarding things is to help people do things on the computer, like set up e-mail so they can see pictures of their grandkids, print forms from the us government website so they can get their wife to come visit them from another country, and stuff like that. It's also really neat that people tell me how much they enjoy someone taking the time to show them how to do something simple, like use a scroll bar! Yay for libraries!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

myspace versus facebook

When will the madness end? Now the myspace buzz is out, facebook is in. I even saw a mashup [can't find it again!] that proclaimed facebook the genius brainchild of social networking systems, and myspace the red-headed step-child who scrubs the floors. Okay, maybe it wasn't really that bad, but it was pretty brutal. And I'm supposed to give a conference presentation about how helpful myspace can be for libraries? I'm going to have to dig pretty hard for that one. Yikes!

MySpace goes org

I created a generic myspace page for a public library as my final project in Doc Martens' LIS web class in Fall 2006. I also work as a reference librarian at a public library. My fellow librarian and comrade liked it, and thought he would show it to our library director, who also liked it, and asked me to tailor it to our library, Stillwater Public. I no longer have the beta-version available, but here is what the "finished" product looks like. Luckily for our library, we do not receive e-rate funding, so we do not have to block social networking and blogging websites, like other schools and libraries do. Patrons come to our library to access the internet and www.myspace.com, more specifically, because it's banned in so many places. I put up signs last week advertising that our library is now on myspace, and got a few extra friends requests. Hopefully, as word spreads, more people will be interested in joining our friends' list and getting all sorts of up

Libraries the keystone for public access?

Bertot, Jaeger, Langa and McClure wrote this article about public access and internet in libraries, and how the federal government has "drafted" libraries to help the people without any compensation; monetary or otherwise. So essentially, libraries are getting dumped on by Big Brother and Uncle Sam, and especially so in times of crisis and natural disaster. Why? The geniuses at FEMA and DHS and all those other government agencies helping poor people have slowly been making their forms and information solely available online. Because people who can't afford to feed themselves probably have access to a computer. It just makes sense, right? WRONG. So, instead of creating offices to help these people use the computers to find the information, they direct the people to the nation's libraries. They are giving people references to the library but not giving libraries extra money, funding, or anything of the sort to help them out. They have shifted the burden of aiding the