Skip to main content

Mindful leadership

Let's all take a moment, take a big, deep breath in, and let it out. Let's do that two more times: big deep breath, filling your lungs completely, then releasing. Shoulders up when you breathe in, shoulders relax as you breathe out. Gently close your eyes or simply soften your gaze toward the ground. Come into this moment right now, by scanning your body, starting with your toes, and breathing in and out of each area, noting any areas of tension. You may like to squeeze those muscles very tightly and then let them go. Work your way up to your legs, pelvis, back, shoulders, arms, neck, and head. Simply observing any sensations in your body without trying to make them do anything. Breathe fully and intentionally.

Slowly start to come back into the room. Wiggle fingers and toes, and you may slowly open your eyes if you wish. I will share 3 principles I've adopted while teaching classes like these every week for the public. These three principles work like a cycle diagram, feeding one another, continuously cycling.

1. I am empowered. I remained disciplined in regular meditation practice, have the confidence to ask for help, have crucial conversations I once avoided, and I'm finding my voice.

2. I am more confident by being self-aware. I have a larger self-care toolbox than before. I am close in touch with my physical symptoms of stress. I recognized impending burnout coming, and it's okay to pause the programming to reflect and make changes, and not to take this as a personal criticism. Allow it to change.

3. Building community. I asked for feedback from my library's internal programming team. I listen to my program attendees and ask what works? What doesn't? And I take all advice into consideration. I am reaching out to local practitioners to expand our programming and ease my burden. I am empowering others in their self-care journeys.

Being honest with myself, and recognizing the need to make healthier decisions, change some unhealthy coping behaviors, network with others, continue on the mindful meditation journey, sharing, teaching and learning in a sustainable way.

I thank you for your kind attention. May you be guided by peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

myspace versus facebook

When will the madness end? Now the myspace buzz is out, facebook is in. I even saw a mashup [can't find it again!] that proclaimed facebook the genius brainchild of social networking systems, and myspace the red-headed step-child who scrubs the floors. Okay, maybe it wasn't really that bad, but it was pretty brutal. And I'm supposed to give a conference presentation about how helpful myspace can be for libraries? I'm going to have to dig pretty hard for that one. Yikes!

Libraries the keystone for public access?

Bertot, Jaeger, Langa and McClure wrote this article about public access and internet in libraries, and how the federal government has "drafted" libraries to help the people without any compensation; monetary or otherwise. So essentially, libraries are getting dumped on by Big Brother and Uncle Sam, and especially so in times of crisis and natural disaster. Why? The geniuses at FEMA and DHS and all those other government agencies helping poor people have slowly been making their forms and information solely available online. Because people who can't afford to feed themselves probably have access to a computer. It just makes sense, right? WRONG. So, instead of creating offices to help these people use the computers to find the information, they direct the people to the nation's libraries. They are giving people references to the library but not giving libraries extra money, funding, or anything of the sort to help them out. They have shifted the burden of aiding the

MySpace goes org

I created a generic myspace page for a public library as my final project in Doc Martens' LIS web class in Fall 2006. I also work as a reference librarian at a public library. My fellow librarian and comrade liked it, and thought he would show it to our library director, who also liked it, and asked me to tailor it to our library, Stillwater Public. I no longer have the beta-version available, but here is what the "finished" product looks like. Luckily for our library, we do not receive e-rate funding, so we do not have to block social networking and blogging websites, like other schools and libraries do. Patrons come to our library to access the internet and www.myspace.com, more specifically, because it's banned in so many places. I put up signs last week advertising that our library is now on myspace, and got a few extra friends requests. Hopefully, as word spreads, more people will be interested in joining our friends' list and getting all sorts of up