Skip to main content

personal diversity statement


It’s weird to grow up “white” but be part-Native American.  I always longed for a rich, fully involved cultural heritage and known family lineage.  Some of my girlfriends went to frequent pow-wows, had grandmothers with homemade frybread recipes, and who won Indian Princess contests with their beads and homemade dresses year after year.  By contrast, my grandfather’s father, who was a full-blood Cherokee, converted to become a Southern Baptist at some point in his young life.  He was awarded a scholarship to study seminary at Haskell College (now Haskell Indian Nations University), and proceeded to convert Cherokees on the Reservation to become Baptist Christians, too.  He did not teach his children anything of their native customs, heritage or language, but showed them how to assimilate, as best they could, into small town, white Oklahoman culture.  My grandfather was in the Army Reserve and married a white woman (my grandmother).

 

What is assimilation?  Part of assimilating is taking aspects of the culture around you and incorporating them into your own existing way of being; part of it is changing, or confirming to the morays and norms around you.  Assimilation can also imply that you become like a sheep who follows wherever she is lead, be it to greener pastures or the slaughterhouse.  That may have worked for my grandfather, who was spit on and called a “dirty Indian” in his youth, who was generally treated like a second-class citizen, but that has never worked for me.

 

Although a woman, I never felt like a member of a minority group.  Growing up in the latter part of the 21st century in the U.S.A., and raised by rebellious parents who were determined to allow their children all the opinions to which they were never entitled to express, I felt emboldened and certainly equal to my male counterparts.  Taking my coloring from my mother’s German-Scottish side of the family, I never experienced appearance-based discrimination like my brown Native friends did.  Serving in the U.S. Peace Corps in post-apartheid South Africa, however, opened my eyes to a whole new world:  that of the minority.

 

During my two- year service, I lived alone, but within a family compound, in the Southern Kalahari desert.  South African villages, by and large, are full of the elderly and primary school aged children.  There are few complete families or women of child-bearing age.  Many of the men live in hostels near mines, or in large cities where there is work and visit only a few times a month.  My travel was 90% on public transportation, using buses and taxi vans, and 10% hitchhiking in private cards.  My reception by the community was positive, and I felt fairly safe when I was in my village, but anytime I left I was on high alert; there were a number of dangers awaiting me.  Alcoholism was rampant, and it was quite common to encounter belligerent drunks on the 7:30am Saturday morning public bus to town.

 

While living in South Africa as the only white person for miles around, it was routine for me to be stared at, asked for my phone number or for money, and given marriage offers.  Over time, this new heightened fear and state of distress I was living in, surrounded by new norms and expectations, came to be unsettling to the point where I feared leaving my home.  Some days I wouldn’t.

 

In the U.S.A., nobody asks me what race I am.  Nobody cares that I am a female.  I can live with anonymity as I wish, or be as involved in society as I like.  These things I previously took for granted. However, my service in a country highly charged by race and clearly defined gender roles made me realize what a tough time my grandfather must have had, just trying to grow up and become himself in the midst of a society that didn’t want him to exist in the first place, let alone appreciate his rich culture heritage. 

 

The tribe of South Africans I lived with, the BaTswana people, have many similarities to the Cherokee.  Both cultures have rich oral traditions and peaceably assimilating into their captors’ societies.  In my search for meaning, I was disappointed to find that even in the remote villages in South Africa, popular culture, even American culture, has made its way into the homes of the lucky few with electricity, televisions and cell phones.  Gone are the days of traditional ways.

 

So it seems that, in this day and age of globalization, even in the remotest parts of the world, our cultures are mixed.  This rampant mixing of cultures raises many questions for me.  Is it reasonable to place a high premium, as I had been unknowingly doing, on purity, or the ancient?  Can we say that only these are wise or worthy?  Is our subconscious trying to tell us something?  Sherman Alexie does a great job of exploring what it means to be a “half-breed” or to live “on the Rez” but not belong there in his novel, Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.  I realized that, sure, I was a Spokane Indian. I belonged to that tribe. But I also belonged to the tribe of American immigrants. And to the tribe of basketball players. And to the tribe of bookworms. And the tribe of cartoonists. And the tribe of chronic masturbators. And the tribe of teenage boys. And the tribe of small-town kids. And the tribe of Pacific Northwesterners. And the tribe of tortilla chips-and-salsa lovers. And the tribe of poverty. And the tribe of funeral-goers. And the tribe of beloved sons. And the tribe of boys who really missed their best friends. It was a huge realization. And that's when I knew that I was going to be okay (217).”   Belonging becomes less about race or tribe, and more about activities and interests we share with others. 

We can literally travel to the ends of the earth only to realize that we must make our own homes, forge our own realities, and find the places to which we belong.

 

Rather than assimilate, rather than cower in fear, I raise my head with pride for all the cultural elements that make up the tribe of me.  I seek others who will not spite me for being a half-breed, or a woman, or for being born in a wealthy nation with no homogenous culture.  I walk tall in my thrift-store clothing that I dried on my clothesline, chosen with care to be comfort and flattering.  I demand equal pay for equal work.  I am an example for other women by utilizing my education and working to my fullest potential.  I keep my native name and respect the Earth as my Native ancestors did.  I combine my car trips and walk or ride my bicycle as much as possible to minimize my carbon footprint.  I count the many ways I have been blessed, and never forget where I came from.  I am free to be me.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

myspace versus facebook

When will the madness end? Now the myspace buzz is out, facebook is in. I even saw a mashup [can't find it again!] that proclaimed facebook the genius brainchild of social networking systems, and myspace the red-headed step-child who scrubs the floors. Okay, maybe it wasn't really that bad, but it was pretty brutal. And I'm supposed to give a conference presentation about how helpful myspace can be for libraries? I'm going to have to dig pretty hard for that one. Yikes!

MySpace goes org

I created a generic myspace page for a public library as my final project in Doc Martens' LIS web class in Fall 2006. I also work as a reference librarian at a public library. My fellow librarian and comrade liked it, and thought he would show it to our library director, who also liked it, and asked me to tailor it to our library, Stillwater Public. I no longer have the beta-version available, but here is what the "finished" product looks like. Luckily for our library, we do not receive e-rate funding, so we do not have to block social networking and blogging websites, like other schools and libraries do. Patrons come to our library to access the internet and www.myspace.com, more specifically, because it's banned in so many places. I put up signs last week advertising that our library is now on myspace, and got a few extra friends requests. Hopefully, as word spreads, more people will be interested in joining our friends' list and getting all sorts of up

Libraries the keystone for public access?

Bertot, Jaeger, Langa and McClure wrote this article about public access and internet in libraries, and how the federal government has "drafted" libraries to help the people without any compensation; monetary or otherwise. So essentially, libraries are getting dumped on by Big Brother and Uncle Sam, and especially so in times of crisis and natural disaster. Why? The geniuses at FEMA and DHS and all those other government agencies helping poor people have slowly been making their forms and information solely available online. Because people who can't afford to feed themselves probably have access to a computer. It just makes sense, right? WRONG. So, instead of creating offices to help these people use the computers to find the information, they direct the people to the nation's libraries. They are giving people references to the library but not giving libraries extra money, funding, or anything of the sort to help them out. They have shifted the burden of aiding the