Skip to main content

Metadata, library catalogs, and FRBR

I am really glad I'm a week behind on blogging for class, actually. I read Gradmann's blog about our class blogs, and realized I had better do some more research to find out about these terms: FRBR, ontologies, semantic web, and the like. So in total, I actually read about 10 articles or websites to find enough info to read these!

Metadata, the word and concept, was introduced to me in LIS 5033 with Drs. Martens and Kim, and I just found it hilariously nerdy (think Weird Al's White and Nerdy). "Data about data," I believe was the definition given. Of course, after researching for 1.5 semesters, and especially after reading these articles by Gradmann and Mohamad, I understand and appreciate the importance of the study of data about data.

What I found fascinating in Mohamad's report in the impact of metadata in web resources discovering is that with many search engines, tagging metadata doesn't make a big difference without knowing the algorithm that search engine uses. Which seems useless, because you probably have to work for Google or Ask.com to find out. This is a huge findability issue, because if your website doesn't rank high in a websearch, nobody can find it. But if tagging metadata doesn't work, then what does? Gradmann's proposal for using FRBR for more findability for library's catalogs is genius. I always thought that's how things worked on the World Wide Web anyway, that everything is connected- but now that I know a bit more from working in a library and studying the science thereof, I realize humans do a LOT more of the work than the general public realizes.

In my last blog, I ranted about the government dumping work on libraries because they've got it together, but if (more hopefully, when) library catalogs can utilize this technology, service offered would be on a much higher plane than it currently is (in my opinion).

Specifically, I get patrons asking about series of books, what is the title of number 5 in this series- it takes me a trip to the software program our catalog runs on (yes, Gradmann hit the nail on the head here- page 72 of his article FRBR: Hype or Cure All? in part G: libraries could be no longer dependant on vendors for software), Novelist database, possibly FirstSearch through OCLC, and maybe even Amazon before I can find the answer. This takes anywhere from 1-5 minutes, when it should really take 30 seconds to a minute to process.

Even though I don't fully comprehend the details, I think the main points are: current metadata tagging doesn't work, but FRBR probably will, so let's just go ahead and start doing it.

Watch out, here I come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

myspace versus facebook

When will the madness end? Now the myspace buzz is out, facebook is in. I even saw a mashup [can't find it again!] that proclaimed facebook the genius brainchild of social networking systems, and myspace the red-headed step-child who scrubs the floors. Okay, maybe it wasn't really that bad, but it was pretty brutal. And I'm supposed to give a conference presentation about how helpful myspace can be for libraries? I'm going to have to dig pretty hard for that one. Yikes!

MySpace goes org

I created a generic myspace page for a public library as my final project in Doc Martens' LIS web class in Fall 2006. I also work as a reference librarian at a public library. My fellow librarian and comrade liked it, and thought he would show it to our library director, who also liked it, and asked me to tailor it to our library, Stillwater Public. I no longer have the beta-version available, but here is what the "finished" product looks like. Luckily for our library, we do not receive e-rate funding, so we do not have to block social networking and blogging websites, like other schools and libraries do. Patrons come to our library to access the internet and www.myspace.com, more specifically, because it's banned in so many places. I put up signs last week advertising that our library is now on myspace, and got a few extra friends requests. Hopefully, as word spreads, more people will be interested in joining our friends' list and getting all sorts of up

Libraries the keystone for public access?

Bertot, Jaeger, Langa and McClure wrote this article about public access and internet in libraries, and how the federal government has "drafted" libraries to help the people without any compensation; monetary or otherwise. So essentially, libraries are getting dumped on by Big Brother and Uncle Sam, and especially so in times of crisis and natural disaster. Why? The geniuses at FEMA and DHS and all those other government agencies helping poor people have slowly been making their forms and information solely available online. Because people who can't afford to feed themselves probably have access to a computer. It just makes sense, right? WRONG. So, instead of creating offices to help these people use the computers to find the information, they direct the people to the nation's libraries. They are giving people references to the library but not giving libraries extra money, funding, or anything of the sort to help them out. They have shifted the burden of aiding the